Gluten & Egg-Free Cornmeal Muffins
September 09, 2016
When you need gluten-free in your household, give these muffins a try - they happen to also be egg-free.
Vegan & Gluten-free Cornmeal Muffins
2 Tbsp finely ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp water
1 cup sorghum flour (Bulkbarn)
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 cup finely ground cornmeal
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk (I think the sweetened ones would work too)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup dairy free margarine, melted
1 cup corn kernels – fresh, or frozen and defrosted (optional), you could use frozen blueberries instead
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line muffin tin for 12 muffins
2. In a small bowl, combine flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken – about 15 mins is good
3. In a medium bowl, combine sorghum flour, cornmeal, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda
4. In a separate large bowl, combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar and stir together. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to curdle and thicken
5. Next add honey, melted margarine, and flax “egg” to the bowl with the coconut milk and stir together. Stir in corn kernels (or blueberries). Then add dry ingredients and fold until everything together is well combined.
6. Fill each muffin tin 3/4 of the way full. Transfer to the oven and bake 22-25 mins or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool 15 mins before serving. Store in airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or freezer for longer.